Monday, August 6, 2007

Cold Stone Creamery in Newton Center

I went in to Cold Stone this past Sunday with some friends. I was not optimistic about ordering anything because I am always concerned about the cross contamination factor in ice cream shops, with all the cones and shared ice cream scoopers. I rarely order ice cream unless it comes from a machine such as the soft serve device, and that is only after confirming the ingredients. I asked the manager on a whim (since they were not busy at the moment). Becky was extremely helpful. Turns out they have a detailed list behind the counter that shows exactly which items contain gluten, as well as other allergens. Unfortunately that was not enough to encourage me to place an order. I asked, reluctantly, about the likelihood of getting a clean scooper involved in the process. Becky went above and beyond by offering to open a new container of ice cream from the back freezer and using a new utensil to scoop it in to the cup. That was more than I could have requested. So I ordered a coffee ice cream in a cup and was able to enjoy one of the best ice cream flavors I have had in years. I would highly recommend going to Cold Stone, but remember first ask to see their allergy list and then (if you are like me and you are severely affected by the slightest bit of gluten)  ask if they can accommodate your dietary restrictions. I cannot guarantee anything, but it is well worth a shot!

No comments: